Sunday, November 1, 2009

Prefacing the Peril

It's hard to believe that merely one month ago, less 3 days or so, that I was thrilled about my trip to Walt Disney World. Thrilled to the point of making plans for 2010, heck, to infinity and beyond. I'm really glad we didn't make any cash deposits.

The trip had amazing potential. Lauren and my cohorts were a couple who we had worked with in Anaheim, and had on many occasions gone out for dinner and other social events with. They were big Disney geeks, we are big Disney geeks. The timing worked out right, so that as I was experiencing the kind of withdrawal that happens when you want so much to return to a place, but have no plans to do so.
Therefore, when I got a call inviting Lauren and I to join J+C on a random, spur of the moment trip back to Disney World, we were sold. Well, I think I was sold first, but Lauren tends to worry more about "Can we afford rent/food/real lifey type things." I was able to run the numbers and with the Cast Discount on the room and using frequent flier miles from my parents as an early Christmas present (We love you, Mom and Dad!) and various other sordid money grubbing, we somehow managed to make it work financially.

So here we were. Despite it being a "free dining" promotion, equating to significantly higher numbers of people dining at restaurants within the resorts and the fact that the trip was quite literally put together in less than a month, I was able to arrange one sit-down meal for us per day, including a Saturday breakfast at Chef Mickey's. During the trip, Epcot was also holding the annual Food and Wine Festival, offering 25 different booths, dedicated to 25 different countries, offering small samplings of several of the local flavors from each nation. Lauren and I were thrilled about this concept and knew that our culinary needs would be very well taken care of.

If only we knew.

No comments: