Saturday, March 7, 2009

Meat Market

So I was looking at some of my random sites the other night and came across an item with an interesting title. It was called the "McGangBang" and the particular blog that it was linked from claimed the site to be "Safe For Work." Suffice it to say I was curious and clicked instantly.
It turns out that the McGangBang is the latest in the restaurant "secret menu" craze that includes the ever popular In-N-Out animal style, neopolitan shakes and grilled cheese (sidebar: "Secret"? All of this is listed on their website. But I digress).
The sandwich consists of a McChicken sandwich stuffed between a double cheeseburger. Both items from the dollar menu, the whole thing costing a whopping 2.16 American.
I must try this and I think that I shall. If I survive the ordeal, I shall share the tale here first. To be honest, it's making me kind of hungry. Sort of like when I read Fast Food Nation in college.
Speaking of disgustingly heart-attack inducing meat-based sandwiches, I learned of the mother of them all this week. At work are the Mexican-style "roach-coaches" and they serve all manner of interesting foods, but there is one item that stands above the rest, and she is called the Alaska burger. Apparently this sandwich consists of a double cheeseburger, bacon, pastrami, and ham. My friends rave about it and the next time that I have five dollars and fifty cents in cash this will also be mine. I don't know how one would go about actually consuming such a thing, but I aim to find out. And I thought that I was courting death when I used to put bacon on my ham sandwiches....
In a more civilized vein, there is an amazing restaurant near us called Portillos Hot Dogs. It is based out of Chicago and ours is the only store not located in the greater Chicagoland area. Lauren and I discovered this little gem over a year ago and their Italian beef sandwiches are the things that dreams are made of. I routinely have two in a single sitting. It was with this in mind that Lauren ventured into a sandwich shop right across the promenade from Portillos called Philly's Best, which serves, you guessed it, Philly Cheesesteaks. I had high hopes when I sampled their wares this evening and was not disappointed. The rolls were soft, the cheese was melty and delicious and the steak was perfect. This is one adventure that we will be repeating. So, we have Chicago and Philadelphia covered...now all we need is a Kansas City BBQ joint and we will never have to leave our little corner of Southern California. I am, indeed, a gourmand. 

No comments: